Wireless under linux

Andrew Beals andrew.beals at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:01:47 CST 2010

This is a very good time for me to point out that there are only three
(3) channels that you should ever set your wifi device to: one (1),
six (6), and (11).  The reason why is because the "channels" overlap
with each other.  Channels two through five will interfere with six
and one.  Channels seven through ten will interfere with six and
eleven.  Setting yourself up on a channel that's not 1, 6, or 11 will
cause interference to others and they will be interfering with you in
return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi#Limitations

The chart found on this page will illustrate the problem with the
"channels" as selected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

So yes, Wi-Fi devices having "11" channels is nothing but a lie from
the marketeers.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Andrew Beals <andrew.beals at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0316296
>
> Wireless Selectable Channel Quantity    11 Channels (US, Canada), 13
> Channels (European, ETSI)
>
> What happens if you set it on Euro channels? Do you get black helicopters?

More like black crown vics and men in cheap suits.

That's the 2.4GHz band, and your Wi-Fi is either covered under "ISM"
or as a "Part 15" device.  Either way, you're expected not to bork
anyone else's signal.  You'll find the FCC's frequency allocations
here:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf

(you probably want to scroll down to page 36 (as indicated))

Note that there are amateur radio operators that you're sharing the
band with, and they will report you if you do anything naughty, to say
nothing of the other users of the spectrum.