Virtual Technology

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Wed Dec 22 21:28:03 CST 2010

Do I have this right?

NX is a technology that makes remote X windows perform better.  So you can
use NX to have, say, hundreds of people logged in and running applications
on big honkin Linux server and the applications would be work pretty
responsively.  So, in a sense, this setup would be a bit like Citrix, only a
hell of a lot cheaper?  Is there a better open source equivalent to Citrix?
I couldn't find it with just a few minutes on Google.  NX seems like it
might make the same thing possible.  Are there tools to manage those
hundreds of users logged in like there is with Citrix?

Xen appears to be the open source equivalent to VMWare?  Then there's KVM
too, right?

Just exploring possibilities here and trying to get my mind around the open
source virtualization world.  Let me know what you think.

Peace,
Jim