USB 3.0 Use with Linux

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Aug 25 18:43:08 CDT 2010

On Monday, August 09, 2010 02:25:49 pm Peter Cross wrote:
> Has anyone tried any USB 3.o devices with any flavor or Linux? I've seen
> some sites stating that since 2.6.31 usb 3.0 is supported but
> linux.org/newsstates the following:

Do note in general, USB 3.0 is /not/ compatible with USB 1 or 2.

> "The xHCI driver is already included in linux-next and since
> Linux<http://www.linux.org/news/2009/06/10/0004.html#>2.6.30 has just
> been released, it should go into the main development tree
> from which Linux version 2.6.31 will emerge around late August. Users that
> want to have a look at the new driver can find it in the Git repository."

Linux 2.6.30 is pretty old... 2.6.35 is about to be released soon.
If it was going to be ready for 2.6.31, I can only imagine it must be pretty
stable by 2.6.34 (current stable).

Disclaimer: I have no USB 3 devices, nor any computers that actually support
USB 3.0.