OT: Law [Was: Decompilers]

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 18:30:39 CST 2009

Well, since there is a Federal law that says it is illegal to possess, transport, sell or buy any plant, fish, or animal in violation of any Federal state or local law, or of any international treaty. I'd say pretty much all Americans are possible criminals. I didn't quote the actual law in the order it is written, but it says all that. Since Brahman cattle are protected in India, and it is illegal to kill them, IIRC, that might make beef illegal in India. Now whether that makes all beef illegal or only Brahman beef illegal I don't know, but can any of us prove our beef is in 100% compliance with Federal law that we aren't eating beef that is illegal in India with whom we have an international treaty?

Also, could there be some plant or animal or fish protected by law in some foreign country and not in the US, and is bred or grown and sold in this country? There are over 10,000 Federal laws, can any one recite them all?

Did you know, it's against the law to serve pickles and cheese on the same plate in NYC. Most any McDonald's cheeseburger is breaking the law in NYC. Not to mention since, selling a cheeseburger with a pickle slice is against NYC law, the above mentioned Federal law also kicks in (for the pickle - a plant part and the cheese an animal product and possibly the hamburger they are served with, not to mention the bun, etc). Making it a Federal crime to buy a cheeseburger with a pickle in NYC! With possibly 6 or more counts for each plant or animal product involved (pickle, cheese, beef, wheat, ketchup, mustard, sugar)!

True, it's an old law and not enforced, or probably even widely known (think WWII food rationing laws never repealed). Still, it's the law, and being broken millions of times a day, by New Yorkers and tourists of all ages.

Food for thought,
Brian JD