OT: Re: DRM and the PRO-IP Act - Limited time opportunity? Shameless self-promotion?

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 20:23:15 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Someone who was a member of the 1980s S&L scandals' "Keating Five" (like
> JOHN MCCAIN, the only member of the "Keating Five" still in the U.S. Senate)
> shouldn't be put in charge of financial decisions like the Wall Street
> bailout.  The remaining fox being put in charge of the financial henhouse.

McCain and Glenn were found innocent of wrongdoing in that scandal.  The
Democrat counsel for the committee (later one of Bill Clinton's attorneys)
wanted to drop them from the investigation due to the embarrassing lack of
evidence, but the Democrat majority on the committee insisted on having a
token Republican to investigate, and for Glenn to keep him company so the
ploy wouldn't have been that transparent.  Here I present the relevant
Wikipedia summary, with the links to articles documenting the statements
made.

Initially the committee investigated in private. On September 10, 1990,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/18/AR2008081800698_pf.html
.[32] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five#cite_note-nyt092990-31>
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE4DA133EF93AA1575AC0A966958260