Reiser FS or ext3?

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 23:14:14 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Jeffrey Watts
<jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know about XFS-on-Linux, but I've used XFS on IRIX for ten years now
> and I've probably had a hundred unclean shutdowns.  I've only once had data
> corruption, and that was recently when there was some kind of dirty power
> event that threw five disks and two controllers in my array.

Similarly anecdotal, a dormmate of mine ran XFS for a while.  Then one
day he spilled some water near the extension cord and guitar amp he'd
plugged into his UPS.  In a frantic move he unplugged the wrong cable
during an emerge and discovered a number of binaries full of ^@
(null).

When I asked friends about it, a veteran UNIX admin mentioned that
IRIX was designed for SGI machines, high end all of them.  Among their
notable features is a power failure notification system capable of
taking corrective action, because the power supply was designed to
their specifications, rather than the PC market's.  The same guy
pointed me to SGI's own statement on the subject, archived by our good
friends at archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030604071716/http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls

You'll note the question has been updated, but doesn't detail how it was fixed:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls

Justin Dugger