Semi-OT: Congress about to limit artists' copyright rights

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat May 31 17:17:57 CDT 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008, Billy Crook wrote:
> How *fair* do you think it is that you are able today, to spend hundreds of
> hours on some work only to discover (after you've spent thousands, millions
> of your own money) to bring your idea to market, that there was some prior
> work with copyright that you had NO WAY to know about, but yet now, all your
> time, and all your money is in vain.

While I'm no fan of copyright law, this is FUD and can never happen with
copyrights. Copyrights only deal with copying information. If you spent
hundreds of hours working on it, and didn't copy it, copyright cannot get in
your way.

Basically, it is impossible to copy something (violating copyright) if you
don't know it exists.