Semi-OT: Congress about to limit artists' copyright rights

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sat May 31 16:33:17 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, after this law, what would be the correct way to protect my free
> code from some big company making money on it?

Let's dissect that:
"protect my free code"  Is it under attack?
"from some big company making money on it"  Oh, I see.  If someone
else makes money, your code disappears from your hard drive, or gets
corrupted.  No, wait.  It doesn't.  How does someone else' good
fortune hurt you?  Is it not selfish to take that away from others for
no reason?

FREE SOFTWARE, by definition, welcomes anyone to make money on it so
long as they pass down the same rights to their customers as well.
That's one of the most important things about free software.  Without
few companies could ever have adopted GNU/Linux.

If you'd like to prevent your code from being of any financial use to
anyone else, the "best" thing you can do is not distribute it.  Second
to that, you can use a destructive license like one of the
non-commercial creative commons licenses.  I fail however, to see what
good comes of specifically spiting commercial use.