Semi-OT: Congress about to limit artists' copyright rights

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri May 30 18:35:59 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wrong.  Once this bill is passed, you will be able to safely derive
> from the works of others without wondering if they indended it to be
> "public domain" or if they wanted to control it.  No more confusion,
> just type it's UPC/product name/fccid, hit enter, and know.

I'd like to know if the copyright was renewed on the Busby Berkely
film I watched last week, it was made in 1933. If it wasn't, its
public domain and I can do whatever I want with a 20-year-old Ginger
Rogers singing in pig latin, and publicly.

Allowing private companies to compete with this business that the
library of congress has a monopoly on and aren't using all the latest
technology?  Sounds good to me.