DSL link aggregation?

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Thu May 8 13:46:09 CDT 2008

Greg Brooks wrote:
> * Unsophisticated users who are comfy with FTP and don't want to learn new
> tools.

If the "unsophisticated users" are the ones doing the downloading, then
they can still use FTP to download. Your problem was with uploading.
Once the file is on the server, it can be downloaded by any mechanism
you set up. If your "unsophisticated users" are in your local shop, then
you could set up a local FTP server that will automatically push files
up to your off-site server when they are dropped in a specific location.
If your clients are uploading the files to you, then I don't get why
it's your concern how their connection is set up.

> * Many different clients who need the bandwidth boost, so a point-to-point
> solution isn't a good fit.

Do you have many clients uploading? Or just many clients downloading,
and you doing all of the uploading? If you are the only one uploading,
then it isn't much of a problem.

There are many creative solutions you could set up. The question is if
the time and effort to set it up and make it transparent to your users
is worth saving a few hundred bucks a month.

~Bradley Hook
Education Systems Administrator
Kansas State School for the Blind
1100 State Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66102
Voice: (913) 281-3308 ext. 363
Mobile: (913) 645-9958
Facsimile: (913) 281-3104
http://www.kssb.net

Confidentiality Statement:
This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and contain information
intended for the specified individual(s) only.  This information is
confidential unless explicitly indicated otherwise.  If you are not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by E-mail,
and delete the original message.