DSL link aggregation?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed May 7 17:15:18 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 11:10, James Nelson wrote:

> Multiple modems work because the ISP can simply set a bonding option in
> radius.

One would think so, but we had connections through two different ISP's and
Windows was able to "bond" them together into a single pipe for FTP.  We
were very surprised when we tried it and it just took off.

> DSL is different and requires special modems at both ends of the
> connection.

Wouldn't surprise me if that were true, but also wouldn't surprise me if
there were a software-workaround if you were running pppOe, just because
I've seen it work with ppp before.

Still, I would speculate (as I chide others for doing) that the
shared-bandwidth nature of DSL would probably make this less useful than
discrete phone line ppp bonding.