Everything Is Relative

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:22:33 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Phil Thayer <phil.thayer at vitalsite.com>
wrote:

> > So what about the concept of Absolute or Universal or Objective Truth?
> > If I'm reading your statement above, you're saying that there is NO
> > Absolute Truth.
> > Is that a true statement?
>
> True.  Because Absolute implies that everyone knows all things, whether
> they are currently known or not.

Are you absolutely sure that's a true statement?  Of course you aren't,
because it's not.  Truth and Reality simply are.  Whether any individual
person knows a particular truth doesn't make it untrue; it just makes it
unknown, to that person.  It isn't necessary for everyone else to know
something that I know for me to know it.

As Donald Rumsfeld famously alluded, there are known knowns, known unknowns,
and unknown unknowns. (He left out unknown knowns.) But don't think for a
moment that they aren't absolutely true, even when they're unknown.