Usenet

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 03:54:01 CDT 2008

You said that you liked watching British television that you can't get
here.  I pointed out that you ought to look at using Bittorrent.  I
also mentioned that that's how I get my high-def Grand Sumo
Tournaments six times a year.  I'm personally not worried that
Asashoryu is going to come and kick my ass for downloading the Natsu
Basho via Bittorrent.  I'd welcome the opportunity to watch them in
high-def on TWC via PPV.  And yes, I buy all of my music.

Anyhow, I'm not "defending" the replacement of a system.  I'm the
voice of Father Time letting the grumpy old men of the world know that
USENET news is:

1) Outdated technology
2) Too expensive
3) Unable to scale
4) Obsoleted by non-distributed forum technology

So please if you don't mind, stop putting words into my mouth.  I'm
not saying that there's nothing interesting on News.  I used to use it
all the time.  Here's what I'm saying, and I'm going to put separately
with emphasis so y'all can feel me proper:

USENET NEWS IS DYING BECAUSE IT'S NO LONGER A GOOD TECHNOLOGY.  YOU
OUGHT TO CONSIDER MOVING TO A NEWER TECHNOLOGY, PERHAPS ONE INVENTED
IN THE 1990S.  I HEAR THERE IS THIS THING OUT THERE CALLED "THE WORLD
WIDE WEB".  CHECK IT OUT.

Anyhow, sarcasm and good humor aside, it's struggling now for good
reason, and not because Time Warner (or any other provider) is evil.
It's simply too expensive to maintain, it's wasteful of bandwidth and
storage, and doesn't have enough users to justify the cost.  Most
people have moved on to web-based alternatives.  You ought to try and
move your community before the lights go out.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a