ISPs, Newsgroups, etc. ...OH MY!!!

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 01:36:33 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 6/29/08, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Flawed comparison.  The size of an address space is an
> integer which can only grow as time goes on.  Individual
> network protocols become obsolete as new ones supersede
> the functions of the old.  It's called progress.  Usenet
> has tangible and irreconcilable flaws.  That is why it
> was retired

Ummm, Usenet is still around and has been for the "8 years" Jeffrey claims its been "irrelevant".  If it had been "retired" then we wouldn't have started this discussion in the first place.

> Web-based message forums, or email lists are a replacement.
> They don't "drop in".  They're different.  Things change.
> Get over it.  How the entire world is obligated to stop in
> its tracks because of the inabilities of the blind is
> beyond reason.  It's unfair that the blind can't drive
> cars, but they shouldn't be allowed to either.  Cell
> phones are bad enough.  Sight is simply a requisite of a
> lot of things.

I'm almost surprised you didn't go the logical extension of all that and suggest that once a person turns blind they should simply be taken out back and SHOT.

The entire world isn't obligated to stop in its tracks to help the blind use technology, but it is certainly enlightened self-interest as blindness is something you can "catch" or "receive" as life goes on.  I find it humorous that you are betting that you will NEVER be blind.

> That said, you don't need broadband to use google groups,
> or phpBB.  That assertion is false.  You can EASILY turn
> graphics, scripting, and flash off if you'd prefer not to
> load them for some reason.

And if the message board is WRITTEN in Flash, or as is more common uses scripting to perform basic functions?  Shutting off Flash or scripting often shuts off the message board.

> While it's taken forever for broadband to get where it
> is today, and America's broadband is still some of the
> worst in the world, it will only get faster and cheaper
> as time goes on.  Claiming dialup is cheaper is like
> saving money by buying a dollar of gasoline at a time.
> You get a much better price with broadband.

Again with the flawed comparisons.  If all you're doing is E-mail and text-based stuff, broadband is a WASTE.  Its like buying in bulk: buying 12 pounds of of strawberries and then eating four while the rest rot is wasting money, no matter how much cheaper the price per pound is at bulk rates.

> And gee, you shouldn't need broadband if you just use
> the text only groups, and no images or flash.

<SARCASM>
But that would be wasting money on dialup!!!
</SARCASM>