ISPs, Newsgroups, etc. ...OH MY!!!

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 05:05:00 CDT 2008

Flawed comparison.  The size of an address space is an integer which
can only grow as time goes on.  Individual network protocols become
obsolete as new ones supersede the functions of the old.  It's called
progress.  Usenet has tangible and irreconcilable flaws.  That is why
it was retired, and replaced with what is commonly referred to as "the
web", http and https.  In the coming years, as 'cloud computing'
happens, people won't have "computers".  They will have browsers.
(Even if their browser "came with" an OS, and some shiny hardware.)

Several thousand people doesn't sound like all that large a number in
contrast to 'everyone else', most of whom have never heard of usenet.

Web-based message forums, or email lists are a replacement.  They
don't "drop in".  They're different.  Things change.  Get over it.
How the entire world is obligated to stop in its tracks because of the
inabilities of the blind is beyond reason.  It's unfair that the blind
can't drive cars, but they shouldn't be allowed to either.  Cell
phones are bad enough.  Sight is simply a requisite of a lot of
things.

I'm don't think usenet should go away, and I don't think an ISP should
just stop providing services without compensation.  That said, you
don't need broadband to use google groups, or phpBB.  That assertion
is false.  You can EASILY turn graphics, scripting, and flash off if
you'd prefer not to load them for some reason.  While it's taken
forever for broadband to get where it is today, and America's
broadband is still some of the worst in the world, it will only get
faster and cheaper as time goes on.  Claiming dialup is cheaper is
like saving money by buying a dollar of gasoline at a time.  You get a
much better price with broadband.

For what it's worth, anywhere in the Kansas City area you can get Road
Runner cable broadband, you can also get Earthlink, AOL, and what used
to be planetKC.  There may be other options as well.  Time Warner
pulling their own usenet plug likely would not affect the competition.
 If you use usenet, you can speak with your wallet, and switch service
providers.  And gee, you shouldn't need broadband if you just use the
text only groups, and no images or flash.

I propose that the members of this mailing list are probably more
likely than any other group to actually use usenet, and so propose we
take a tally.  Do you use usenet:
More often than once a year and
via a usenet client and server and
for something other than pornography and
for something other than piracy.

I bet that even though the numbers will be skewed in favor of usenet
given the audience, it will STILL be obvious that usenet is rarely
used.

I will start the poll off putting myself in the NO column, and you in
the YES column:

As of 2008-06-29 04:55:
YES:1
NO:1