Usenet going bye bye

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 17:23:00 CDT 2008

Yeah, to be honest USENET is a dead-end technologically.  It doesn't
scale well at all, and the larger USENET got the worse it became.
EVERY post is sent to EVERY USENET node.  Think about that.  It was
designed at a time where many systems and networks had Internet access
infrequently, and every server needed a local copy.  That's no longer
the case, no longer needed, and no longer a good idea.

I appreciate people's nostalgia for it, but personally I think USENET
should have been taken out back and shot ten years ago, while it was
still relevant, as it's now devolved into a repository of malware and
bad porn and it's a shallow and sad husk of what it once was.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a