Telnet to Web Server?

djgoku djgoku at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:19:10 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Greg Lawson
<glawson at rollinghills.lib.mo.us> wrote:
> Is it necessarily considered poor web server configuration to be able to
> telnet into a webserver and pull off the server info? For example, if you
> telnet to this site (and many others I've tested too):
>
> www.missouriwestern.edu (port 80)
>
> --then do a "get /"
>
> you will get the server info and the html from the website. So is that good,
> bad, neither, unavoidable?

Neither, Webserver (is a server), you are connecting with telnet
(client). So if you know the right sequence you can "get" the HTML
page just like your Browser. Its a typical client/server setup. You
can do mail this way too (but isn't recommended).

$ telnet www.missouriwestern.edu 80
Trying 150.200.1.30...
Connected to www.missouriwestern.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.