My PCLOS

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Thu Jun 12 10:19:38 CDT 2008

The CLI is the heart and soul of Linux. It is where all the power
resides. Once you learn it, you will never want to go back.

An extremely simple and free introduction to some CLI tasks can be found
in the Hacker Highschool PDFs (http://www.hackerhighschool.org/). I'd
suggest you start there, especially because it gives you primers on
other important things like security and networking. It also gives you
comparisons of CLI commands for Linux and Windows.

After that, if you really want to learn how Linux works, then read the
Linux From Scratch (LFS) book. It provides step-by-step instructions for
building a Linux distribution from scratch. Aside from reading the
kernel source code line by line, I don't know of a better way to learn
about how Linux works.

Jeffrey Watts wrote:
| To be perfectly honest you need to start becoming familiar with using
| the command line.  It's simply not possible to deal with the problems
| that can come up in a Linux system without knowing how to use it, at
| least somewhat.  :)
|
| I know it can be confusing and a bit scary, but to be honest it's
| where the true power of the system comes from, and there will be many
| situations where the command line is the only option - and this isn't
| a limitation of Linux.  Unlike almost every other operating system,
| the command line in Unix is extremely useful and powerful.  There's a
| reason it's still used heavily, and to be honest other than
| OpenOffice, Firefox, and Evolution it's all I really use in my "GUI"
| environment.
|
| In your circumstance, to get out of safe mode the most obvious command
| for you would have been "reboot" to reboot the computer or "halt" to
| turn it off.  You could also type "exit", but that's less obvious.
|
| The sooner you learn how to use the command line the better.  I
| suggest picking up a easy to use book on it.  Unfortunately I learned
| how to use a Unix shell environment fifteen years ago, so I don't have
| any good recommendations for a book.  Does anyone else know a good
| book or web tutorial for her?
|
| Jeffrey.
|
| On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Julie <betelgeuse67stang at yahoo.com>
wrote:
|> Because of this, I made the mistake of trying to boot into SAFE MODE. I'd
|> didn't know it was yet another place where nothing but command line is
|> allowed. In order to get out of it I had to MANUALLY shut off the
computer
|> by pressing the Power Button.

- --
~Bradley Hook
Education Systems Administrator
Kansas State School for the Blind
1100 State Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66102
Voice: (913) 281-3308 ext. 363
Mobile: (913) 645-9958
Facsimile: (913) 281-3104
http://www.kssb.net

Confidentiality Statement:
This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and contain information
intended for the specified individual(s) only.  This information is
confidential unless explicitly indicated otherwise.  If you are not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by E-mail,
and delete the original message.