My PCLOS

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:15:40 CDT 2008

To be perfectly honest you need to start becoming familiar with using
the command line.  It's simply not possible to deal with the problems
that can come up in a Linux system without knowing how to use it, at
least somewhat.  :)

I know it can be confusing and a bit scary, but to be honest it's
where the true power of the system comes from, and there will be many
situations where the command line is the only option - and this isn't
a limitation of Linux.  Unlike almost every other operating system,
the command line in Unix is extremely useful and powerful.  There's a
reason it's still used heavily, and to be honest other than
OpenOffice, Firefox, and Evolution it's all I really use in my "GUI"
environment.

In your circumstance, to get out of safe mode the most obvious command
for you would have been "reboot" to reboot the computer or "halt" to
turn it off.  You could also type "exit", but that's less obvious.

The sooner you learn how to use the command line the better.  I
suggest picking up a easy to use book on it.  Unfortunately I learned
how to use a Unix shell environment fifteen years ago, so I don't have
any good recommendations for a book.  Does anyone else know a good
book or web tutorial for her?

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a