Encouraging regular security updates (was Re: HowTo: manage updates to Ubuntu offline...)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 05:42:11 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 31 May 2008 00:13:44 Leo Mauler wrote:
> > I'm about to set up two Linux PCs for the Alcott
> > Arts Center
>
> > I'll run the updates before I pack up the PCs, but
> > after I install them on-site there is no on-site method
> > of downloading updates.
>
> We all love to have the latest and greatest software, but
> why would you really need to run regular updates?  The
> system is not exposed to internet hacking, so security
> updates aren't really needed, and as long as it works, it
> doesn't need anything.

How about because I want to get them used to the idea of regular updates, in particular security updates?

These folks aren't Internet-free because they want to be Internet free, they're Internet-free because the money isn't there yet.  Now that a technical person (me) is available and willing to put in volunteer hours to add computers to their art center, they've already started looking into obtaining funding for Internet service.  Its just a matter of time before their arts center computers become "exposed to internet hacking."

If I just slack off from the start, then by the time they need updates there will be no regular schedule in place to perform the updates.  And if you've ever tech-supported a non-technical person, you know that getting them onto a regular schedule of computer maintenance takes a lot of time and effort.