Semi-OT: Congress about to limit artists' copyright rights

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Jun 1 01:31:20 CDT 2008

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
	puts("Hello world!");
}

---

I just wrote this small program. It is sufficiently complex (IMO) to qualify
for automatic copyright protection. I wrote it from scratch, so that
copyright is mine.

I am entirely sure that this exact code has been written by many others many
times in the past. I may have even looked at their code. However, because I
just wrote *this* program from scratch and without copying or even consulting
someone else's, I hold the copyright to it. On the same matter, I am also not
infringing on anyone else's copyright.

Whether I can prove this in court or not is an unrelated question. If sued
over this particular piece of code, no doubt I could call many witnesses from
the industry who would state that the code could very probably be an original
work of mine and not copied. While this might not be the case for most code,
it could very well be claimed for code which has only one possible or
reasonable implementation, such as certain parts of device drivers or
workarounds for bugs.