video cards

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 02:45:04 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, bewkard wrote:
>  > Is anyone using newer (~ 1 year or newer) video cards that are supported by
>  > some flavor of linux?  If so, do you have any comments?
>
>  The newest card I have is a Radeon X850, and it works pretty well. Support for
>  higher-end ATi cards is in the works.
>
>  Integrated (or non-integrated, but those don't exist) Intel graphics should
>  work without any problems, as Intel themselves support their Linux/DRI/X.org
>  drivers.
>
>  Avoid nVidia unless you agree with all of these statements:
>  1. Don't care that this combination is illegal.

Never heard that one before.

>  2. Don't care that you will no longer have free OS.
>  3. Don't care that your OS is not supported by Linux/DRI/X.org developers.

In all fairness, I don't assume support from anyone if I don't pay for it.

>  4. Don't need your card to remain supported once it's considered obsolete.

Valid issue, i normally buy a new card before that happens however.

>  5. Don't mind missing out on new/experimental Linux/DRI/X.org features that
>    require driver support.
>
>  OR: Don't care for 3D acceleration.

Well, ATI has always sucked for me, even on Windows. Nvidia always
worked. I hate the situation, but that's how it is. Intel is a good
place to be in terms of video cards.

That said, as soon as AMD/ATI comes fully with their promise of open
drivers, I'm jumping ship right away.

( www.pembo13.com )