ITEC

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 12:18:24 CDT 2007

--- cragos at gmail.com wrote:

> From: Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com>
>
> > I'd love to man the booth again this year.
> > I can bring in a demonstration Linux PC
> > again this year, and I can still print off
> > a couple hundred of the nifty
> > non-confrontational "Five Reasons To Use
> > Linux" brochures I brought last year.
>
> Non-confrontational.... Does that mean we
> shouldn't print out copies of "Is MS Windows
> ready for the desktop?"

> Hone it down to its essence, and it'd make
> an attention getting banner. Some of the
> attention might even be positive.

While I'm as up for M$ bashing as anyone, Linux can
stand on its own without negative attacks on M$.  I
forget who told me (or possibly where I read) that
time spent bashing M$ is time you could have spent
telling people about additional benefits of Linux and
FOSS.  ITEC is only five hours on Wednesday and four
hours on Thursday, and some attendees have conference
passes and will only give us a few minutes between
lectures.

Also, if ITEC "strategic partner" booths are as small
as they were last year (four groups sharing one 10x20
booth), we only really have room for one large banner
or sign, in addition to the main "KCLUG" banner, and I
think we'd rather keep the message focused on Linux.

Finally, the article you link to repeatedly refers to
downloading pirated versions of M$ Windows as
relatively minor infringements of the law.  One
section even refers to BitTorrent as the "M$ Windows
Package Manager".  M$ already has a concerted effort
to condemn Linux, FOSS, and GNU as "destroying
intellectual property rights", and quoting that
article would only strengthen the M$ smear campaign
against Linux.