The drifted SCO thread has opened a new arena. "IS there a placefor a de facto IP freedom realm"

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Sep 27 15:00:59 CDT 2007

 Left nostril inhaler.

-----Original Message-----
From: Billy Crook
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:39 PM
To: Oren Beck
Cc: KCLUG (E-mail)
Subject: Re: The drifted SCO thread has opened a new arena. "IS there a
placefor a de facto IP freedom realm"

You can't have complete control of your work unless it is completely
your own property.

For a work to be completely your own property, you must have uniquely
created 100% of that work.  This is usually not the case.

Authors usually merely modify or build upon, exsiting works.  This is
OK, but it waives the author's "rights" to lord over something they
didn't really create.  I challenge anyone to demonstrate a completely
original work.  (and lets not make this about religion)

Generally speaking, works draw from existing science, language, and
culture.  In the realm of computer programs, they are based upon
programming languages, styles, and conventions.

When you draw on someone else' work in authoring your own, you owe
your work to the author of what you drew from.  You will soon realize
that all of our works are mostly owed to the collective works of
everyone, thus you have no right to restrict everyone's rights to
those works.

This is why Intellectual Property doesn't work.