Say "Bye-Bye SCO!"

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:16:47 CDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Joe Fish <reverend.joe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, its not ME that started the food analolgy.  As I said, the terms of
> GPLv3 have changed -- it is no longer based on "distribution", it is based
> on "conveyance".  And, without GPLv3 enabling MS to "assist in the
> conveyance of" GPLv3 software, they have NO RIGHTS regarding that software
> at all, under US copyright laws, anyway.

The GPL  grants permission to perform certain acts that would otherwise be
against copyright law. If MS isn't doing any of those things, it doesn't
need any license.  The GPL can say that driving a Chevy is forbidden, which
would deprive me of my rights to distribute GPLed software, but it wouldn't
affect MS, who isn't distributing GPLed software, and will studiously avoid
doing so.