A Linux USB keyboard/mouse question

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:49:23 CDT 2007

Language/Logic Nazi Alert!  As people smart enough to make computers work
well, we have an obligation to not perpetuate stupid expressions.

On 9/22/07, cragos at gmail.com <cragos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, even that's not normally necessary. I've used some old Super
> 7 motherboards that required that be enabled to have the BIOS respond
> to the keyboard, but Linux could care less - it Just Worked.

Please don't use the phrase "could care less".  Logically, if it could care
less, then it must care some.  And that's probably not what you're trying to
say.

The phrase you're looking for is "couldn't care less", which is itself a
cliche, which may explain why people have felt the need to rework it.  If
you want to anthropomorphize the Linux kernel in this manner, simply say
"Linux doesn't care".

Don't say someone is "head over heels" in love, because you aren't saying
anything special in noting that someone's head is over his heels.  Perhaps
"heels over head" evokes imagery too graphic for polite conversation; it
doesn't explain this illogical expression.

While I'm at it,
a slash leans forward /
a BACKslash leans back \
It is not just a formal name for 'slash'. There are NO backslashes in
Uniform Resource Locators/Identifiers.

The name for the little star * is "asterisk", (literally meaning "little
star") which is pronounced /as' tǝr isk/, not /as' tǝr ik/  or /as' tǝr iks/.

A colon is one dot above another dot :
A semi-colon is a dot above a comma ;

AND STAY OFF MY LAWN!