P2P Package Manager

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:56:43 CDT 2007

I recall hearing some apt-torrent type things, but I don't know if
they're very complete.

But here's the deal: rather than write a whole new package manager
apt-get neatly divides transport mechanisms. This way, you can write a
handler for whatever transport you desire (in this case, local
network) and let someone else handle the hard work of debugging the
rest of it.  apt-cache does this, for example, as do the other ones
that Charles mentioned.

If you want "discoverability" then it might make sense to start with
apt-cache and come up with a way to publish apt-cache service on mdns,
and a hook to scan mdns services for it. But from a security
standpoint, it seems like more hassle than just setting up an
apt-proxy and adding a single line to sources.list, so I imagine this
is why nobody's put much effort into it.

Justin Dugger