P2P Package Manager

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:28:01 CDT 2007

Good point.  The easiest way to secure it would be for the service to trust
the other machines based on their root password.  If they don't match, don't
trust; if they do, then they're either controlled by the same person or at
least one of the admins is a moron.  I was also assuming you would only
trust packages signed by your distro, in which case, even if someone broke
into your house and put a machine on your network, its rogue packages would
easily be detected and ignored.

Local repositories have to be set up, and maintained by people.  The package
manager is 'just there'.  I'm surprised the main distros haven't came up
with a clever way like this to save on their bandwidth bills.