Linux backup and restore server project- several particulars needed.

Brian Kelsay ripcrd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:44:21 CDT 2007

I agree with Monty here.   If you want to set up some backup software
which includes a server or multiple OSes, there is going to be some
config required.   Unless you control the server hardware, the router,
the network infrastructure in general, you can't create a one size
fits all solution.   Someone, somewhere is gonna have to have a clue
about what their IP address is, what the server IP is, or hostnames of
PCs if your local DNS is working right.

I have also witnessed user error with regard to backups.  The faithful
little user puts in the right tape each day and runs the backup job,
but the tapes are completely empty due to a failure of the drive or
the software to get past an error.  It takes a semi-experienced tech
to figure out there is a failure of some sort and then fix it.  Most
times you don't need a full backup, which may take too long anyway if
using tape, you just need data in one specific location.

Anyway, there are the parts out there to do what you want, but I doubt
it will be turn-key and tard-proof.

Mondo and Mindi on the Linux side can be scripted to do a backup. They
are included on the System Rescue CD.   Ghost Enterprise has tools to
do exactly what you and one of the other guys talked about with
booting to a small partition and then retrieving your image, but it is
not dead simple.  Clonezilla is probably up to the task.  You could
edit the liveCD to include a custom boot script to backup to a server,
but you are going to have to build that based on the network setup.
http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php