Linux backup and restore server project- several particulars needed.

Jeffrey McCright jmccright at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:04:26 CDT 2007

While this has already been mentioned in passing, you may find something of
use here:

http://ping.windowsdream.com/

PING = "Partimage Is Not Ghost" This project uses a Linux boot CD to boot
Windows and Unix/Linux systems and back them up to and/or restore from a
single disk or partition image file on a SMB (Server Message Block or Samba)
share either on a Windows box or a Unix/Linux box (including a NAS device
with SMB support). While this project does not directly meet all of your
criteria, it might be possible to tweak it so that it does. Perhaps setting
up PXE boot on the remote system to boot from the PING CD boot image on the
image server and running scripts to backup or restore individualized backup
images based on the MAC address of the remote system, just as an example.

Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. McCright, A+
816-210-3107
jmccright at hotmail.com