Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 15:37:23 CDT 2007

On 9/12/07, Monty J. Harder <mjharder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile I'm much more interested in the supercapacitors that are
> supposed to allow electric cars to go 500 miles between 5-minute recharges.
> If I can buy one of those at a price point similar to an ICE car, I'm all
> over it, because if I drive 500 miles, I'll need to stop to use the bathroom
> or something for 5 minutes anyway.  "Gas stations" will provide recharging
> stations where you can plug in, then go inside and buy cokes, smokes, chips
> and dips, lottery tickets and maybe even cricket wickets.

All Storage issues aside...can you imagine the size of wires it would take
to handle the current flow it would take to charge a capacitor capable of
running an electric car for 500 miles (using current electrical engines of
course)?!  Not to mention the havoc it would play on our electrical
grid...massive capacitive loads being connected to the grid for 5 minutes?
We would have blackouts across the nation from these "fueling stations."

Before there is ANY chance of a plug in car that can charge quickly, we'll
have to almost completely rebuild our power grid...