Kernel panic as an unneeded event.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 07:39:13 CDT 2007

On 9/10/07, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what happens when there is a problem with the fallback-to-crawl system?
>
> I believe there appears in recent kernels a system for loading a
> different kernel,
> so you might be able to rig something to switch to your known-good instead
> of
> requiring you to reboot again, if you are in a panic/recompile/repeat
> cycle, but
> setting that up would certainly harder be than the problem at hand fixing.

So far- some good starting points and thanks!

The direction I hope we could use as a "target" is one I can best describe
as - "Load a stable minimal live assist with communication-THEN begin the
install or whatever-save the Oh, let's call it ID for InitialDegubber to a
USB device bootable if possible- then any later event causing a Something
Bad has a way to cry for more skilled help" Shorter statement is - something
akin to a netboot yet only invoked upon a drastic failure. The teaser is a
searchable "BreakFix" repository that such an ID could query as "self
remedy"
with the dividend of FEEDBACK to learn hardware compatibilities etc.

Oh, think of it this way as a closer- " do you always feed back false driver
detects"?

Oren Beck