boot sequence discussion

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 23:06:26 CDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Monty J. Harder <mjharder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if you don't have some kind of filesystem compiled into the kernel,
> how would you load a module from... a filesystem?

My naive and ignorant presumption is that initfs sets up the file
system structure at a higher level -- perhaps the virtual file system that
linux uses to make all the file systems behave the same -- rather than
going through the whole dance of pretending that the data in question is
really on some kind of external media that has to be mounted and so on.
Not alert enough at this point to construct a nice metaphor.