Anyone on the list have a laptop for sale that can run Beryl etc?

Ty Unes riverty at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 29 23:32:29 CDT 2007

I believe when someone states dedicated video memory on a laptop as a
good thing, they mean RAM that runs at GPU speeds (independent of the
system RAM bus speed) and is physically seperate from the system RAM.
There is also dedicated RAM in the context of what your saying, 512MB of
system RAM, 256MB set in the BIOS for video use, 256MB seen by the OS.
One of the new perks in the laptop world is "Dedicated Video RAM" in
like 128MB of RAM, soldered right to the mobo, clocked faster than the
system RAM to run with the GPU, much the same as in a desktop computer.
It's a pricey option, but there none the less.

Beryl, Compiz, Fusion, or whatever they call it, runs fine and fairly
stable on my Acer Aspire 9300. Turion 64 x2 with 128MB dedicated video
RAM and NVidia 7300 GPU.