Fedora Server

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Oct 29 21:46:31 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 17:17:05 Earle Beason wrote:

> however the actual reason is "Why not?,"

I ran RedHat for servers for years until they pulled the split - and screwed
me and a lot of other people out of several months of paid support.

I didn't move to Fedora for several releases as it "found itself", and when I
tried it I was not pleased.  Their restructuring lost them a lot of community
support, and the packages were disappointingly out of date.   They stay that
way too, what they release is what you get unless you do a version upgrade -
which at last check did not work.  Fedora is also more focused on the
desktop; sensible text-based configuration and apps receive a lot less
attention than they once did.

I've found a similar problem with Mandriva.  While I love it on the desktop,
recent releases have had non-starting problems with a number of packages that
would only be run on a server, like dovecot, spamassassin, and others.  Makes
it nice if you get off on filing bug reports - with fixes, but makes it hard
to get the server up and running on time.

Gentoo on a server - no.  Must be updated constantly, and since the exodus to
Ubuntu updates frequently break things.  True, they're usually only broken
for a day or so, but try explaining that to the boss who's waiting for an
eMailed contract in Philadelphia when he can't get his mail.

I have the install disks to do Ubuntu LTS, but I keep chickening out.  Don't
want  to loose a weekend to it right now.