Messing around with my network on Linux (looking for noob stuff, not complicated networking things that make my brain cry)

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 16:27:48 CDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, nmap is "a software" worth checking out.  Even more fun would be
> to scan your local subnet in RR for web servers to see what your
> neighbors computers are hosting.
>
> nmap -p80 127.69.76.168/20
>
> That would search your local subnet in roadrunner for webservers.  I
> got /20 from the 255.255.240.0 subnet, and that IP address is the one
> the netgear gave as the public.  Try it on your own.

When I first had access to roadrunner, I ran ethereal to find out what the
stray packets working their way into my LAN were. (lots of arp requests.)
TWC detected this somehow (perhaps dns lookups for internal routers?
I don't know) and shut off our service until I talked with someone and
promised not to do it again or something.  Port scanning your neighbors
is something that they really should detect, if they do or not.

> I googled for an equivalent of ipconfig /release and /renew, and got
> > ifconfig up/down <device>, but it sounded like this was for that device,
> and
> > that I had to do something else for the router. So my question is, how
> would
> > I do this for the router? (Netgear, not in the mood to check the model
> right
> > now so just let me know if you need that info)

netgears, as well as linksys and most other COTS routing appliances, use
dynamic configuration over power-line protocol, which is one of the reasons
you will not be allowed to bring your router with you if you have to spend
the night in a hospital for any reason. Anyway, the easiest way to cause
such
a device to release and renew its lease is to momentarily disconnect it from
the DCOPLP (pronounced "deek-o-plop") network by removing the black barrel
shaped jack from its socket, counting backwards from 119 to zero by
seventeens,
and plugging it back in.