Upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10, now resolution stuck at 1600x1200

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Oct 21 12:07:48 CDT 2007

X.org 7.3 (which I presume is what is in Ubuntu since they continue to
ship unstable piles of crap as "stable") does not have working
keyboard LED code. It is said that the problem is so deep and
complicated due to the ancient code responsible for this, that a fix
is not expected for some time: X.org 7.3.1.

Solution: stop using Ubuntu and switch to the distro that they steal
all their package from: Debian. The X.org package which was ripped
verbatim from Debian is correctly marked "unstable" in their
repositories.