Kclug Digest, Vol 39, Issue 9

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:18:55 CDT 2007

On 10/9/07, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/07, Monty J. Harder <mjharder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah yes.  But walking an illiterate through a GUI over the telephone is
> easier than walking the same illiterate through a CLI.  There were people
> I remember talking with when I worked at GW2K, the letters of the alphabet
> were not their friends.

So you're saying that Windows is designed for illiterates?  I agree.  But
that's the problem with the GUI.  It seduces people with the notion that
clueless newbies can immediately do easy things, but it doesn't help more
experienced users become masters, because true mastery inevitably requires
combining things in ways the creators of the components didn't anticipate.
And if neither the author of $foo nor the author of $bar knew you'd combine
them this way, then there's no way they'd have built a GUI to let you do
it.  If you're lucky, someone else might do the job, but  that only works if
both pieces provide an API to facilitate it.

In the Tao of Unix, that API is the command line and the text file/stream.

Again, I'm not arguing for eliminating the GUI, simply subordinating it to
the CLI.  Give me the CLI and human-editable-text config and data files
first, THEN build the GUI for the illiterates.