Kclug Digest, Vol 39, Issue 9

lerninlinux at comcast.net lerninlinux at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 09:44:59 CDT 2007

From: "Phil Thayer" <phil.thayer at vitalsite.com>

> > Ah yes, phone support.
> >
> > "Ok, now hit 'Enter'."
> >
> > "Ok"  Clack.  Clackity clackity clackity clackityclack
> >
> > "Wait, what did you just do?"
>
> I had a guy that the technician had set his password to blank.  Then
> about three months later he called support and said he couldn't remember
> his password.  (Apparently he had never shutdown his computer and there
> was a power outage that shut it down for him.)  After trying a number of
> standard passwords I told him to enter a blank password.  His response
> was "Is that case sensitive?"   Uhhhhh???  Yes? No?  Just press the
> "enter" key without entering anything.  It logged him in!  Scary part
> was, he was an instructor at a college...

Sounds like the one I knew that taught at a local, laughed at school.  Somebody gave him my number (could have only been a couple of people, who didn't own up to it).  He needed me to make room on his pc, so he could install some program (don't remember what it was now), and use another program that you would laugh at.  He thought he could just delete the programs in office or windows that he didn't need.  His hard drive had tons of space on it, and he asked how to install this program, that had Disc 1, disc 2, disc 3,  LOL.
The ONLY program he could run, was the one that he taught and used.  He ended up buying the video professor series, to learn how to use his pc.
I heard more about that school, that I stayed FAR away.