Kclug Digest, Vol 39, Issue 9

leenix leenix at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 23:09:36 CDT 2007

First of all let me say thank you to everyone who shared ideas. it has
been very helpful.

OK. Let me play Devil's Advocate for a minute. These are a couple of
reasons I have actually heard for why it is better to use proprietary
software:

1. I realize the source is available, but I want my developers
developing OUR software not OS (Fill in your other FOSS software here)
software.

2. If I buy a piece of software that is closed-source, the company
selling it to me has to support it. If something is wrong with it,
they'll fix it, because that's where they make their money.

3. If I buy [closed-source company]'s software I know it will work with
their Database, Mail server, Office Suite, etc. because it is made by
the same company. I'm not sure that we'll be able to get [open-source
company]'s software to talk to our existing infrastructure, our to our
partner's existing infrastructure.

Now I know what I think of these problems, but I am fairly new (less
than 3 years of using *NIX) and I want to see what the community thinks.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Cheers