Speaking of Desktops

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 15:02:18 CDT 2007

On 10/6/07, Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, we get to hear about all the "gee whiz" features but all the
> useful ones get the cold shoulder.   I like sticky and snapping window
> borders too.  It's actually a bit useful to get a visual notice that
> you've hit an edge before you actually keep pushing the window over or
> off of it.

At least with Compiz Config Setttings Manager (CCSM) you can browse
the various plugins and dig into what you want.  Each plugin has a tab
that informs you what the keybindings are. There's just so many
plugins at this point that I'm not sure their "each plugin gets a
unique key combo" can work feasibly.  Last I saw however, Sticky
windows is available, as is snapping.  CCSM is in universe, because
it's hardly a gem of UI.

I think it's important to remember that no matter how much Ubuntu
leadership wants it by default, compiz is still unfinished.  Its
probably a bit pointless to put the finishing usability touches on
code that may be radically changed later.  And as always, community
driven projects benefit more from actions taken than words spoken. As
in, writing documentation instead of declaring someone at fault for
not doing so earlier.

And metacity is still installed by default, with all the functionality you love.

Justin Dugger