eBay: Botnets are Linux-happy | The Register

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 07:26:47 CDT 2007

Well, there is some good news from this article, news
unrelated to saving a bunch of money on car insurance.

The good news is that Linux market share is increasing
in the area where it matters: the non-geek market.  If
Washington Mutual recently fended off "countless"
phishing sites based in rootkit-ed Linux, we're
talking numbers of computers a large corporation would
consider "countless".  If the majority of those were
Linux, then large numbers of non-geeks are now
installing Linux, which should be a concern for the
Microsoft sponsor, not a blessing.

The fact that Microsoft has spent the last three
decades increasing their customers' tolerance for
security vulnerabilities in their OS and software,
coupled with long delays in fixing them, means the
upsurge in Linux installs won't be swayed by some
announcement that a security vulnerability has been
found in Linux.  Hoist on their own petard.

Now if we can only get Ubuntu and Linspire to stop
making the first user account password into the root
account password, I think things would improve.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/ebay_paypal_online_banking/