Kclug Digest, Vol 39, Issue 2

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:48:18 CDT 2007

Piracy happened when the cost of software (including o/s's)  was
prohibitive.  Remember when a copy of Wordstar for cp/m was priced at around
$500?  Same thing happened with 8 track tapes in the 60's and 70's, and
videos in the early 80's.  Video rentals were created to combat the high
cost of movie ownership.

In the case of Micro$oft, their actual cost per copy (legitimate) is about
$15 give or take a few clams.  Then they charge $50-100 for the 'use' of
that software.  They're loosing not $15, but the retail value, and that
being their cash cow, they prosecute hackers.

If they would price their product at less than 100% markup, maybe they
wouldn't have the problem of piracy.  Then it would be cheaper to buy the
legitimate version instead of a pirated copy.  This is what happened with
home videos.  In layman's terms, a fast $5 is beter than a slow $80.

Considering the D+ performance of Windows, and what you pay for it, I'd say
$20 a copy is more than it is worth.  Of course it is profitable to all
those who have written spyware, virii, and trojans for Windows, making it
emininantly simple for unknown people to electronically spy on your computer
. . . where we store sensitive information, thinking it to be 'secure'.

My two bytes worth . . .

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO