New Meeting Location?

Brian Kelsay ripcrd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 19:53:11 CST 2007

I've had no problem bringing in a load of equipment on a 2 wheeler at
the library and the elevator is fine.  I have had concerns about my
safety downtown, but have had no problems yet.  I have found a parking
lot through the alleyway across the street from the library, but it is
quite a way to haul PC hardware or a heavy laptop and accessories.  I
have found the library's wireless to suck and the network to be slow
to hand out DHCP.  I have often brought my own wireless router to make
DHCP work faster for everyone.  I've also often brought extra CAT5
cables for those that forget them.  I'd assume a technical business
would have plenty of those and no need to drag my "Be Prepared" bag
with me.  We'd also have plenty of time to complete a Linux install
and not leave someone hanging.

My most recent concern with the meeting place is that if I go on a
Wed., I go after dropping my kids off; I have Wed. night visitation.
So I go right at 8, drive downtown and then have about 45 min. of
geek-out til everyone goes to Denny's.  So sometimes I wait and just
go straight to Denny's to meet everyone.  Or I say to hell with it and
just don't go.  I'd rather drive a bit further to Vital Site and know
I could drag in hardware and maybe a meal from a place of my choice.
I hate Denny's, they're random crappy service and their lack of ANY
WiFi.  If someone wants to work on a technical problem at Denny's or
any other restaurant, they must beware of food/drink hazards and
usually need some Internet connection.  Maybe at Vital Site there
could be a designated food table away from hardware.

Although it might suck for a while to change the meeting place (it did
when the library moved), it sounds like a vastly improved location.  I
assume the bathrooms are closer than the ones at the library?  I think
we would be remiss to not at least make a trial meeting there and see
how we like it.

Brian Kelsay
"You're one of those readers, aren't ya?"