What is involved in an "Open Standard" truly being so?

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:04:19 CST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 8:41 AM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> Your quote is using a flawed/incorrect definition of "free": it is not,
> according to some dictionaries (and all, some years ago) a shortcut for
> "free
> of charge" or (in this case) "free from reimbursement".

Part of why people felt the need to come up with the "Open Source" name is
the wide variety of definitions of "free".  Let's look at just the adjective
definitions at http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/free
We have Speech (Libre), Beer (Gratis), and a bunch of other ideas here:

1 a*:* having the legal and political rights of a citizen b*:* enjoying