ITEC: Missing CDs, general thoughts

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:30:56 CST 2007

On 11/8/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think he was referring to the latest release, which they opened the
> gates for torrent downloads at approximately 9:05AM this morning.

And I have consistently avoided pushing the latest version of ANYTHING to a
newbie.  I tell people to use Ubuntu 7.04 and let seven months of patches
update rather than using 7.10 and have trouble.  Only after a release has
been out a few months do I want to put it in the hands of someone who might
let a bad first experience with Linux become their last as well.

We've seen specific horror stories that bear out the wisdom of the "wait to
upgrade" philosophy.  Let those eager beavers gamma-test the software.  You
can even be one of them, if you have a "non mission critical" box to play
with, or do like Jim Herrmann last night and make a separate partition to
hold the new OS version (the old one's there as a fallback, and you can diff
config files and figure out what you changed last time....)