OK, if it is too quiet

Jeffrey McCright jmccright at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:36:02 CDT 2007

Hmmm... A couple ideas are rattling around in my head.

First, can you boot a Knoppix Live CD and then read the contents of the 300
GB drive with one of your non-booting Linux installations? This would
indicate that the file system is ok and that you could have a bootloader
issue. Lilo has to access all of its boot files from the first 1024
cylinders of your hard drive. This may be a problem if you have chosen Lilo.

Second, if you are using GRUB with each of your installations, you may want
to check to see if the GRUB versions are the same. An interesting and
perhaps helpful technical article on GRUB can be found here:

http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/technical.html

Third, Could it be the way the bootloaders are looking at the hardware? In
the BIOS, I am assuming that you are using Linear ( or Logical) Block
Addressing. Sometimes, you can have mixed results with the Drive jumper
being set to "Cable Select" instead of "Master" or "Master mode with a
Slave"

Fourth, perhaps you have an incompatible IDE Interface for the IDE
Controller on the drive. Some OSes can compensate for certain
incompatiblities with modified drivers. Often, drive manufacturers release
firmware updates to resolve compatibility issues. Although I am not familiar
with your particular brand of system board, System board manufacturers often
provide BIOS updates that can can fix compatibility and performance issues
as well. I am making alot of assumptions here, such as the system board
having integrated IDE adapters.

Fifth, you mentioned that you replaced the 300 GB IDE drive with a SATA
drive and yout problems went away. Certain system boards, especially early
implementations of integrated IDE and SATA controllers on the same system
board, have had mixed results. Try reconnecting the 300 GB drive on your IDE
interface and the go into BIOS and disable the SATA controllers and see if
your problem clears up. I have resolved several Boot issues this way.

Good Luck and best wishes!

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. McCright, A+
816-210-3107