Linux PVR as possible self-control of content for families?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Mar 14 20:05:49 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 04:47:13 pm you wrote:

> Nope. DirecTv has a slightly different schedule. As my wife gets both
> east and west coast feeds, your program guide may be different. As for
> the NSFK movie?

Ok, The movie is "Sexual Indiscretion", rated TVMA, showing 4:30 - 5:50 on the
Pacific feed then.  While it appears from the very brief descriptions
available to be pretty much about sex, it should be noted that other programs
rated TVMA include Schindler's List and some episodes of South Park, The
Shield, Rescue Me and so-on.

I personally don't think there's any harm in children knowing as much about
sex as they might observantly learn on a working farm, I understand that
there are reasons you wouldn't want them to watch this program.

I don't feel that children should be allowed to surf around and just watch
anything that strikes their fancy anyway.  Parents should actively manage
what their kids watch, selecting programs with some knowledge of their
content, not just passively accepting whatever spews out of the tube.

If you have DirecTV, you have parental controls that will block any TVMA
programming regardless of time slot; you can block the West Coast feeds of
the premium channels during their "night" programming.  It's not TMC's fault
you were greedy about your feed, they took reasonable measures not to have
that on at the time you saw it.

We don't need nannyvision to solve this problem though - we need parents to
parent.