Linux PVR as possible self-control of content for families?

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 08:22:10 CDT 2007

This morning I saw how commonplace Porno Video of frankly crude
conduct has become.
The "movie channel" had at 730 am- prime time for kids getting ready
for school- a pornfest.
Folks- usually we see stuff of this sort on the camslut torrents not
on any "non pay" media.
Suffice to say it was *NOT* ok  for singledigit age kids to be
watching. But they COULD if someone were not both aware of the issue-
and empowered to control; it!
So my porno surprise  hatched a question. And let me preface this by
admitting that I have never used Tivo or ANY of the PVR type systems
personally. So I plead ignorance of their capabilities or limitations.
Thus-

Can the Linux projects for PVR media centers be used to create a
personal content firewall?

It's at first an almost oxymoronic application question. Then again-
the issues are as usual, in the details. My initial core concept is
starkly simple yet nontrivial to make simply easy.
I want to have some method of recording kid safe content and -an
ability to audit anything questionable if ratings or other rulesets
make that indicated. So the only content that the kids see is as
censored as practical.. My stepdaughter has 4 kids under 10 years old.
So she's become the target customer for my application question.
She does NOT have time to either hand censor all the kids'content in
real time, nor the computer skills we do to even semi automate the
task. Can we offer any help?

Let me close with my overwhelming reasoning for posting this.

The only person having final veto over what their children watch is
their parent in control.
And we can  create an instrumentality of that control.