Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:15:41 CDT 2007

>What flavor of Linux would you run on it?
>Mainly I'm looking for someone with experience
>running Linux on this machine but opinions are
>welcome as well.

I built a simlilar P3-600 last year to do the same sort of thing.
Just wanted to point out the obvious, because it didn't hit me until
I'd had make and gcc running for a couple of days straight:
Don't use Gentoo.

I ended up using Ubuntu Server, but there's not much different between
it and Debian. In some cases, Debian actually is more up-to-date than
Ubuntu with regard to some server-side applications, like the
IlohaMail PHP webmail client package.

Apparently still is, 8 months later:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ilohamail/+bug/52462

I'd just say go with what you're comfortable with, unless it's mostly
compiled from source.

-Sean Crago